Laser surface texturing and surface functionalization make it possible to create effects or generate new properties on all surface types.
The characteristics of the surface texturing process:
- Various functionalities (modification of surface wettability, emissivity, colour, tribological and antibacterial properties)
- Process without material removal by remodelling technique
- Surface texture tailored to needed function
- Large area and/or 3D treatment
- Possibility of reproducing the functionalities on polymers by injection moulding
- Super-hydrophobicity / self-cleaning surface
(Contact angle >150°)
(Contact angle < 30°)
- Reflectance < 5% in the range from UV to near IR
- Reduction of bacteria proliferation (up to 98%)
Up to several cm2.s-1 for depending on the process
- Laser fs to ns
- From IR to UV
- Scanning systems
Adaptable depending on the application by generation of self-organizing structures or by controlled etching
Areas of application
- Household appliances
- Food packaging
- Single and dual wavelength double fs-pulse laser irradiation for transparent material processing, J. Lopez, K. Gaudfrin, K. Mishchik, M. Delaigue, C. Hönninger, E. Audouard, R. Kling, G. Duchateau
- Square top-hat and round top-hat laser beam shaping with multi-plane light conversion for femtosecond laser material microprocessing, C. Jacquard, G. Mincuzzi, M. Faucon, A. Sikora, R. Kling, G. Pallier, N. Laurenchet, P. Jian, O. Pinel, G. Labroille
- Short and long term surface chemistry and wetting behaviour of stainless steel with 1D and 2D periodic structures induced by bursts of femtosecond laser pulses, G. Giannuzzia, C. Gaudiuso, R. Di Mundo, L. Mirenghi, F. Fraggelakis, R. Kling
- Double- and Multi-Femtosecond Pulses Produced by Birefringent Crystals for the Generation of 2D Laser-Induced Structures on a Stainless Steel Surface, F. Fraggelakis, G. Giannuzzi, C. Gaudiuso, I. Manek-Hönninger, G. Mincuzzi, A. Ancona, R. Kling
- Controlling 2D laser nano structuring over large area with double femtosecond pulses, F. Fraggelakis, G. Mincuzzi, J. Lopez, I. Manek-Hönninger, R. Kling
- Springtail-inspired triangular laser-induced surface textures on metals using MHz ultrashort pulses, J.-M. Romano, R. Helbig, F. Fraggelakis, A. Garcia-Giron, C. Werner, R. Kling, S. Dimov
- Towards Laser-Textured Antibacterial Surfaces, A. H. A. Lutey, L. Gemini, L. Romoli, G. Lazzini, F. Fuso, M. Faucon & R. Kling
Associated products or services
Selective ablationThe use of a specific pulse duration and/or suitable wavelength(s) makes it possible to work in a condition where the surface layer ablation threshold is lower than the substrate’s.
Etching - Controlled ablationLaser engraving is carried out by removing material layer by layer to obtain a 2D or 3D effect on all material types.
Laser shock peeningShock waves (> GPa) applied to metallic materials improve their fatigue resistance and their resistance to corrosion.
Machining of transparent materialsCutting, welding, drilling and engraving of transparent materials with minimization of mechanical stress. Short or ultra-short pulse lasers allow transparent materials to be machined with or without removal of material and to modify their intra-volume physical properties.
Laser drillingLaser drilling makes it possible to create through or blind holes with variable shape and high aspect ratio, on all types of materials and thicknesses.
Laser cuttingLaser cutting enables precision part production of all material types, even of transparent and hard materials such as SIC and diamond.
Intra-volume markingIntra-volume laser marking makes it possible to locally modify the refractive index of transparent materials. This modification allows you to inscribe 3D patterns to functionalize or to create a decorative effect in the material.