Laser cutting enables precision part production of all material types, even of transparent and hard materials such as SIC and diamond.
The characteristics of the laser cutting process:
- Quality and throughput adaptable depending on the laser source
- Durability quality over time
- Thermal-effects free process
- Cutting of thin films up to a few μm
- Tolerances of a few μm
- Accuracy of a few μm
Dependent on the material and the thickness considered, on the order of mm3.min-1.W-1
- Scanning systems
- Precession head
- Cutting head
- Improved quality with short wavelengths
Adaptable quality, surface roughness up to a few hundreds nm
Areas of application
- Ablation of Bone Tissue by Femtosecond Laser: A Path to High-Resolution Bone Surgery - L. Gemini, S. Al-Bourgol , G. Machinet , A. Bakkali , M. Faucon, R. Kling
- Beam engineering strategies reduce heat accumulation effects in high power, ultrashort pulse laser machining, G. Mincuzzi, A. Rebière, M. Faucon, A. Sikora, and R. Kling
Associated products or services
Selective ablationThe use of a specific pulse duration and/or suitable wavelength(s) makes it possible to work in a condition where the surface layer ablation threshold is lower than the substrate’s.
Etching - Controlled ablationLaser engraving is carried out by removing material layer by layer to obtain a 2D or 3D effect on all material types.
Laser shock peeningShock waves (> GPa) applied to metallic materials improve their fatigue resistance and their resistance to corrosion.
Machining of transparent materialsCutting, welding, drilling and engraving of transparent materials with minimization of mechanical stress. Short or ultra-short pulse lasers allow transparent materials to be machined with or without removal of material and to modify their intra-volume physical properties.
Laser drillingLaser drilling makes it possible to create through or blind holes with variable shape and high aspect ratio, on all types of materials and thicknesses.
Surface texturingLaser texturing and surface functionalization make it possible to create effects or generate new properties on all surface types.