Cutting, welding, drilling and engraving of transparent materials with minimization of mechanical stress. Short or ultra-short pulse lasers allow transparent materials to be machined with or without removal of material and to modify their intra-volume physical properties.
The characteristics of the machining of transparent materials process:
- Intra-volume machining: localized laser modification – long lasting effect - no need for additional organic layer
- Ablation-free cutting: dust-free - very fast - no taper
- Conventional cutting: fast - with controlled geometry
- Intra-volume machining: up to 15 MPa of mechanical strength for some glasses, micrometric precision
- Conventional and ablation-free cutting: precision of a few μm
- Conventional cutting: aspect ratio up to 50
- Ablation-free cutting: > 100 mm.s-1, can cut up to a thickness of 1 mm in a single pass
- Intra-volume machining: <100 mm.s-1 for welding and a few hundred mm.s-1 for index modification
- Conventional cutting: up to a few tens of mm.s-1 of machining speed depending on the thickness
- Intra-volume machining: large numerical aperture objective, scanning systems
- Ablation-free cutting: special beam shaping such as Bessel beam
- Conventional cutting: bottom-up approach through material volume
- Ablation-free cutting: surface roughness less than 500 nm
- Conventional cutting: surface roughness less than 1 μm
Materials used for the machining of transparents materials:
- Transparents ceramics
Areas of application
Associated products or services
Selective ablationThe use of a specific pulse duration and/or suitable wavelength(s) makes it possible to work in a condition where the surface layer ablation threshold is lower than the substrate’s.
Etching - Controlled ablationLaser engraving is carried out by removing material layer by layer to obtain a 2D or 3D effect on all material types.
Laser shock peeningShock waves (> GPa) applied to metallic materials improve their fatigue resistance and their resistance to corrosion.
Laser drillingLaser drilling makes it possible to create through or blind holes with variable shape and high aspect ratio, on all types of materials and thicknesses.
Laser cuttingLaser cutting enables precision part production of all material types, even of transparent and hard materials such as SIC and diamond.
Surface texturingLaser texturing and surface functionalization make it possible to create effects or generate new properties on all surface types.
Intra-volume markingIntra-volume laser marking makes it possible to locally modify the refractive index of transparent materials. This modification allows you to inscribe 3D patterns to functionalize or to create a decorative effect in the material.